- Title Pages
- 1 Introduction
- 2. Servitude and the Changing Face of the Demand for Labor in the Indian Ocean World, c. 1800–1900
- 3 On Becoming a British Lake
- 4 Straight, No Chaser: Slavery, Abolition, and Modern Islamic Thought
- 5 Islamic Abolitionism in the Western Indian Ocean from c. 1800
- 6 “The Flag That Sets Us Free”
- 7 “If You Catch Me Again at It, Put Me to Death”
- 8 Social Mobility in Indian Ocean Slavery
- 9 Deeds of Freed Slaves
- 10 Slave Trading, Abolitionism, and “New Systems of Slavery” in the Nineteenth-Century Indian Ocean World
- 11 African Bondsmen, Freedmen, and the Maritime Proletariats of the Northwestern Indian Ocean World, c. 1500–1900
- 12 Slaves of One Master: Globalization and the African Diaspora in Arabia in the Age of Empire
- Indian Ocean Slavery in the Age of Abolition
- Yale University Press
Yale Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.