- Title Pages
- To the Reader
- Introduction Impressions Left by Teachers
- 1 The First Day of Class and Lesson Planning
- 2 Introducing Grammar and Vocabulary
- 3 Communicative Tasks
- 4 Teaching Culture
- 5 History of Second Language Acquisition
- 6 Standards of Foreign Language Teaching The Five C’s
- 7 Factors Impacting Second Language Acquisition
- 8 Types of Teachers; Dos and Don’ts
- 9 The Captain of the Ship Classroom Management
- 10 Heritage Language Learners
- 11 Including Students with Disabilities and Learning Differences in a Language Classroom
- 12 The Use of Technology
- 13 Assessment
- 14 Hitting the Job Market Getting a Job at a University
- 15 Hitting the Job Market Getting a Job at a High School
- 16 Surviving the Political Jungle
- Appendix A Chapter 3 Sample Task Activities
- Appendix B Chapter 12 Sample Lab Exercises
- Illustration Credits
- (p.77) 4 Teaching Culture
- On Being a Language Teacher
- Yale University Press
This chapter discusses the importance of teaching culture as part of the language curriculum. It covers the difference between cultural knowledge and cultural proficiency; a cross-cultural approach to teaching; breaking stereotypes when presenting culture; tools available for teaching culture; and integrating language and culture.
Yale Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.