- Title Pages
- 1 The World-Absorbing Text
- 2 The God-Absorbing Text
- 3 Text and Interpretation Infinities in Kabbalah
- 4 The Book that Contains and Maintains All
- 5 Magical and Magical-Mystical Arcanizations of Canonical Books
- 6 Torah Study and Mystical Experiences in Jewish Mysticism
- 7 Secrecy, Binah, and Derishah
- 8 Semantics, Constellation, and Interpretation
- 9 Radical Forms of Jewish Hermeneutics
- 10 The Symbolic Mode in Theosophical-Theurgical Kabbalah
- 11 Allegories, Divine Names, and Experiences in Ecstatic Kabbalah
- 12 Tzerufei 'Otiyyot
- 13 Tradition, Transmission, and Techniques
- 14 Concluding Remarks
- Appendix 1 Pardes: The Fourfold Method of Interpretation
- Appendix 2 Abraham Abulafia's Torah of Blood and Ink
- Appendix 3 R. Isaac of Acre's Exegetical Quandary
- Appendix 4 The Exile of the Torah and the Imprisonment of Secrets
- Appendix 5 On Oral Torah and Multiple Interpretations in Hasidism
- Appendix 6 “Book of God”/“Book of Law” in Late-Fifteenth-Century Florence
Mutability and Accommodation of the Torah in Jewish Mysticism
- (p.352) 12 Tzerufei 'Otiyyot
- Absorbing Perfections
- Yale University Press
This chapter focuses on mutability, specifically Torah mutability in Jewish mysticism. It introduces the four primary categories of Torah mutability, and briefly discusses and provides examples of each category. The discussion is more concerned with the combinatory category. This chapter stresses that there are a lot of discussions in Kabbalistic literature that do not follow clear-cut categories, but are rather combinations between two or more categories. One of the most common combinations is that between the Neoplatonic and combinatory models of mutability.
Yale Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.