- Title Pages
- Chapter One Athens and Jerusalem
- Chapter Two Athens: The Heroic Phase
- Chapter Three Moses as Epic Hero
- Chapter Four Socrates and Jesus: Internalizing the Heroic
- Chapter Five Paul: Universal Synthesis
- Part 2 Explorations
- Chapter Six Augustine Chooses Jerusalem
- Chapter Seven Dante, Rome (Athens), Jerusalem, and <i>Amor</i>
- Chapter Eight Hamlet's Great Song
- Chapter Nine The Indispensable Enlightenment: Molière and Voltaire
- Chapter Ten Hamlet in St. Petersburg, Faust in Great Neck: Dostoyevsky and Scott Fitzgerald
- Afterword: Today and Tomorrow
- Smiling Through the Cultural Catastrophe
- Yale University Press
Yale Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.