- Title Pages
- Author's Note
- 1 Closing the Books: <i>A Devoted Reader Arrives at the End of the Story</i>
- 2 H. C. Witwer and Me: <i>The Making of a Reader</i>
- 3 Stop the Presses: <i>A Petition for Less Writing</i>
- 4 What Do You Know? What Don't You Know?
- 5 Death, It's What Ails You
- 6 Why Smart People Believe in God
- 7 Taste, Too, Is an Art
- 8 The Rule of Temperament
- 9 Art and Craft
- 10 Certitudes
- 11 What Happened? The Rise and Fall of Theory
- 12 How We Write When We Write About Writing
- 13 Looking for a Good Argument: <i>Argument and the Novel</i>
- 14 Just Imagine: <i>Three Hundred Years of the Creative Imagination</i>
- 15 Going, Going, Gone: <i>The Place of Poetry in American Letters</i>
- 16 The Writing Life
Yale Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.