NEW HAVEN AND LONDON
- Copyright © 2017 by Kai Erikson.
- All rights reserved. This book may not be reproduced, in whole or in part,
- including illustrations, in any form (beyond that copying permitted by Sections
- 107 and 108 of the U.S. Copyright Law and except by reviewers for the
- public press), without written permission from the publishers.
- Yale University Press books may be purchased in quantity for educational,
- business, or promotional use. For information, please e-mail email@example.com
- (U.S. office) or firstname.lastname@example.org (U.K. office).
- “Under Which Lyre: A Reactionary Tract for the Times” from W. H. Auden
- Collected Poems, by W. H. Auden, copyright © 1976 by Edward Mendelson,
- William Meredith, and Monroe K. Spears, Executors of the Estate of W. H.
- Auden. Used by permission of Random House, an imprint and division of
- Penguin Random House LLC. All rights reserved.
- Excerpt from “Little Giddings” from Four Quartets by T. S. Eliot. Copyright
- 1936 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company; Copyright © renewed
- 1964 by T. S. Eliot. Copyright 1940, 1942 by T. S. Eliot; Copyright © renewed
- 1968, 1970 by Esme Valarie Eliot. Reprinted by permission of Houghton Mifflin
- Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Set in Times Roman and Scala Sans types by IDS Infotech Ltd.
- Printed in the United States of America.
- ISBN 978-0-300-10667-1 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Library of Congress Control Number: 2016962072
- A catalogue record for this book is available from the British Library.
- This paper meets the requirements of ANSI/NISO Z39.48-1992
- (Permanence of Paper).
- 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1