- Title Pages
- Chapter 1 The Modern Regulatory State
- Chapter 2 State Autonomy in Democratic Societies
- Chapter 3 Civil War Finance and the American State
- Chapter 4 George Pendleton and Mass Opinion
- Chapter 5 The Election of 1868
- Chapter 6 The Crime of 1873
- Chapter 7 Discretion and the Treasury Department
- Chapter 8 The Ohio Gubernatorial Election of 1875
- Chapter 9 The Compromise of 1877 and Railroad Regulation
- Chapter 10 Charles Francis Adams Jr. and Bureaucracy
- Chapter 11 Free Silver and the Democratic Party
- Chapter 12 The Conservative Origins of the American Regulatory State
- Primary Sources
- Democracy and the Origins of the American Regulatory State
- Yale University Press
Yale Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.